KNOPPIX - Live Linux Filesystem On CD
KNOPPIX 6.0.0 / ADRIANE 1.1 release
The "small" (CD) edition of the KNOPPIX Live System has not been updated for quite a while now, which may be explained by the ever-growing included software portfolio and the small amount of space available. Now version 6.0 has been released, based on Microknoppix, which is a complete rewrite from scratch, featuring a new boot system and a yet much reduced software collection, as an ADRIANE special edition with speech support in english and german language.
KNOPPIX 6.0 / ADRIANE 1.1 - Live CD
"Microknoppix" is a complete rewrite of the KNOPPIX boot system with the following features: [Picture of LXDE destop with compiz]
1. High compatibility with its Debian base: Aside from configuration files, nothing gets changed in Debians standard installation.
2. Accellerated boot procedure: Independently from the usual SysV bootscripts, multiple tasks of system initialization are run in parallel, so that interactive desktops are reached very fast. The slowest factor is still udev, start time is reduced to about half compared to versions 5.x.
3. LXDE is used as graphical environment, which is a very slim and fast desktop with extremely short starttime and low resource requirements. Because of its GTK2 base, LXDE works together nicely with screenreader Orca.
4. Amount of installed software has been greatly reduced in this first CD-version, so that custom remasters based on CD are possible again. In general, there are much fewer dependencies for the KNOPPIX-specific components, so that even small remasters, 256MB and less, can be created (hence the "Micro" part). [Picture of a SD-flashdisk]
5. Network configuration is being handled by NetworkManager with nm-applet in graphics mode, and textual GUIs in textmode (compatible to Debians /etc/network/interfaces specification, but without ifup/ifdown).
6. A persistent image for saving personal settings and additionally installed programs, KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img, is supported on the boot device. That way, even the boot system and startup scripts can be changed in the persistent image.
- カーネル 2.6.28